Port of Salto: Physical Infrastructure
GENERAL INFORMATION AND LOCATION
The department of Salto is located in the northwestern region of the country, on the coast of the Uruguay River. It has an area of 14,360 Km² and a population of 117,600 inhabitants.
It borders on the department of Artigas to the north, the departments of Rivera and Tacuarembo to the east, the department of Paysandu to the south and the Uruguay River to the west, which separates the country from the Argentine Republic.
Its specific borders are: the Yacuy stream, the Las Cavas stream, a dividing line, the Ceballos stream and the Arapey Chico river to the north; the Cuchilla de Haedo ridge, the Cuchilla de Arbolito ridge and the Puntas del Río Queguay Grande to the east; the Cuchilla de Arbolito ridge and the Dayman River up to the mouth of the Uruguay River to the south; the Uruguay River to the west.
The department of Salto was created in 1837 and the city in 1756. It is located in one of the most beautiful places of the coast of the Uruguay River, a short distance away from the waterfalls of this river, called Salto Grande and Salto Chico, which gave the name to the department. Its capital (SALTO) is 495 km away from Montevideo via Route 3 Gral. José Artigas. It has a population of 98,000 inhabitants according to the data provided by the Population and Housing Census carried out in 1996.
Location of the Port of Salto
The Port of Salto is located in the city of Salto, in the department that shares the same name, 13 kilometers downstream from the hydroelectric dam, in the north side of the mouth of the Ceibal stream.
It has a reinforced concrete dock that was built between the years 1928 and 1931.
It is positioned in a 010º-190º direction along the river with a length of 140 meters and a width of 16.5 meters. It is almost at a right angle (098º) to the river and, on the north side, there is the retaining wall, which is also an access dock.